- Drops - I guess this one is pretty obvious, but it does have me concerned. Kris Durham isn't exactly Mohamed Massaquoi but he does have pretty reliable hands and he certainly knows the system. I'm growing more concerned about losing him after having watched all the dropped passes on Saturday. I had hoped that if Marlon Brown came in this fall and contributed it would just be icing on the cake, but it's looking like we may NEED his contribution.
- Justin Houston - I heard his name a lot during spring practice, but I was still skeptical. I know he was transitioning last year from LB, but I still just wasn't sure he was going to be the man at DE. Well, it looked on Saturday that he is ready to step into the spotlight. He looked quick and very hard to block. Hopefully he'll continue this momentum into a productive summer and be the "man" off the edge in 2009.
- Aron White - How good did it feel to see a big tight end catching passes? Well, when he caught them I mean. Yes, he dropped a couple that he definitely should have had, but overall, I was very encouraged by what I saw from White. He certainly looks the part, and having a weapon at tight end will help this offense dramatically.
- Logan Gray - Logan Gray looked like a quarterback. Cox was okay, Aaron Murray looked very promising and Mett needs more work. But, it was Gray that really impressed me. He was 9 of 13 for 91 yards, and was victimized by at least 2 blatant drops. He should have been more like 11 of 13 for 140 and a TD. He really put the ball on the money.
- Sanders Commings - I admit that I was trying to watch the game with a 2 year old tugging at my legs, so maybe my take is a little distorted. But it seemed like Commings was everywhere. Every time I looked up, I saw #19 making a play. I've looked at his numbers and they don't seem to support my perception, so I'll definitely re-watch the game (I'll probably watch it a half dozen times to get me through the summer). Between Commings and Boykin, not to mention incoming Branden Smith, I feel better about the loss of Asher Allen.
Well, 13-3 isn't exactly the big splash I was hoping for with the ESPN cameras rolling, but no one got injured so I guess I won't complain too much. I can't believe spring practice is already over. Below are a couple of observations from G-day. Feel free to comment or add other things you noticed or found interesting.